Chris's camera pages
Is it worth getting a camera repaired?
Like other repairers, I'm often asked "Is it worth getting my camera repaired?". This is a question only you can answer as the camera owner.
Here are some of the many things to take into account when deciding to spend the money having a camera repaired. I have listed them in descending order of likely importance.
- If you rely on using your Retina or Retinette camera for everyday picture taking, you are familiar with the camera controls, and you enjoy using it because the results are good, then having the camera repaired instead of buying another may be the right choice for you. (Buying another camera of the same type may also suit you, but with old cameras you are likely to find it will need servicing too before too long.)
- If the camera has been passed down to you from another family member, or it has other sentimental value, and you have used, or intend to use it, then spending the money to have it repaired may be the right thing for you to do.
- If you have aquired this interesting old camera, and would like to explore the possibilities of using it to take photos, then having it repaired may be the right thing for you to do.
- If you enjoy using fine machinery, and gain pleasure from knowing everything clicks and whirs as it should, then spending the money to have the camera repaired may be right for you.
- If you just like to know that all the cameras in the display cabinet could be used to take pictures, ' If you wanted to ', then having the camera repaired could be the right thing for you.
When is it unlikely to be worth getting a camera repaired?
- It is unlikely that you would recover the cost of having a camera repaired if you are planning on having it repaired so that you can then sell the camera in working condition. Dead, or marginally functional cameras fetch a significant percentage of the price that a fully working example would.
- Having your dad's old camera fixed because one of your kids needs a 35mm camera for a school photography course is unlikely to win you any friends. Do your kids a favour, ask their tutor what camera they recommend, and spend what money you need to in order buy it.